The causes of dry skin are:
(1) the reduced production of sebum (a wax-like substance in your skin to protect it from the environment)
(2) taking certain cholesterol-reducing medications
(3) defects in the outermost layer of the skin, used to prevent water loss
If you are over 65, your skin may become very dry and itchy. Dry skin often occurs in the legs, as well as on the hands and trunk.
Dealing with dry skin, you may consider doing the following:
(1) Avoid hot baths. Use lukewarm baths, instead. Reduce the frequency of taking a bath to every other day, if needs be. Ironically enough, water can cause your skin to dry up. Use non-irritant soaps, such as Aveeno, Dove, or Olay.
(2) Avoid irritants to the skin, such as harsh skin cleansers.
(3) Use moisturizers, such as Vaseline.
(4) Avoid skin friction from abrasives or even rough clothing.
(5) Use cool water compresses.
(6) Maintain proper humidity, especially in winter. Use air humidification in dry weather conditions.
Persistent dry skin conditions may lead to chronic itching and scratching, which may further damage the skin.
Scratching makes your skin become thick and leathery. Itchiness may create the perception of having bugs in the skin.
Skin itching often begins with an external stimuli, causing you to scratch your skin, which reacts by thickening to protect itself. As healing progresses, the itch fibers in your skin are activated by slight scar contraction in the damaged area. This causes new itching, leading to more scratching, and thus begins the vicious itch-scratch cycle.
Although itching is often a benign condition, and one may seek gratification through scratching, persistent itching may also be indicative of health problems, including:
- anemia (iron deficiency)
- hepatic disease (liver)
- neuropathy (disease of the nervous system)
- renal failure
- thyroid disease
Your skin may be sensitive to the sun, resulting in blisters, bumps, hives, rashes, or red splotchy areas. Test the sensitivity of your skin.
Naturally Skinsensational is a simple, powerful, and effective skin care system with 135 most popular facial skin care recipes. This 130-page e-book shows you how to rejuvenate your skin. Begin your natural anti-aging routine today!
Copyright© by Stephen Lau